Friday, July 26, 2013

This one time in Spain.....13'

I opened my eyes to the lights on the bus turning on as we slowly came to a stop at the Alicante bus station. I gathered my belongings just as everyone else and began to stand up waiting for my turn to get off. I noticed that everyone up front started to sit back down in their seats and wondered what the problem was. As the bus driver approached the back of the bus, he told us to remain in our seats because the police dog was going to come through and sniff for drugs. I had nothing to worry about since I obviously had no possession of any. I set my backpack back on the ground in between my legs as I anxiously waited to get off. A police man and a trained dog boarded the bus and slowly worked their way to the back. Since I was in the very last seat on the far right side of the bus, I was able to see everything. Surprisingly the dog did not stop for anyone on its way down. Once the dog reached the back of the bus he hesitated by my feet, which alerted the policeman right away. At that moment, I figured it was the guy next to me since I had no idea who he was and I knew I didn't have anything on me. Next thing I know Manny is telling me that the police officer told me to grab my belongings and exit the bus with him. A rush of panic instantly went through me and all I could think about was someone framed me and this was all a misunderstanding. I grabbed my backpack, embarrassment crossed my face as I passed everyone on the bus to exit. Thankfully Manny was able to come with me to communicate between the police and I. So many thoughts ran through my head and I walked through the isle. Was I going to go to jail in Spain? Did I actually have marijuana on me and I just didn't think about it? What would happen? I stepped off of the bus, set my backpack down and watched the dog sniff around it a couple more times. He definitely smelt something. The police bent down and started to go through my backpack as I stood their in embarrassment. He searched and searched and ended up just finding snacks, which made me hysterical with laughter inside. That damn dog smelt snacks in my bag. I grabbed my bag off the ground and waited for everyone to come off. I could not wait to tell them about what just happened because I knew they were flipping out wondering what was going to happen! I had just got searched for drugs in SPAIN! How ridiculous is that. I definitely am excited to always have a story like this in my pocket. Thank you, police of Spain. 

-Matt Blanchette

No comments:

Post a Comment