Monday, July 2, 2012

reflections, as of midreview


Observations on Spain thus far:

1. Everything is sort of “chill” here. Meaning, “Spain time” is like Berkeley time on crack. Things get postponed at the last minute. People flake out on you, often. Things don’t happen the way you think they will/ in the amount of time you think is normal for the US. Meals can take up to two hours. It’s very laid back, and if you are not like that, you’ll have to adjust or just be constantly freaking out.
You’ll get used to it (sort of).

2. There is less concern for refrigeration in Spain. Eggs are not refrigerated. Milk either, until you open it. Few places are air conditioned. Ice is more of an extra.

3. Everything has history here. You can sense the layers and the changes over time, or in some cases the timelessness of historical buildings juxtaposed with modern ones. Things like the Alhambra (in Granada), the mesquita (in Cordoba), the castle in Alicante....you just don't see things like this is the states.

Things I love about Spain (in no particular order):

1. the mercadillo.
Such an event, once a week. Like a farmer’s market on steroids, with pretty much anything you could ever want. My staples so far: fresh fruit (usually apricots or peaches), lettuce and other vegetables, dried fruit and nuts, and usually some candy. All within a short walk from the pension and in an environment I’ve never seen in the US.



 a video assignment we did, made up of photos taken every 5 minutes at the mercadillo


2. fiestas.
They really get into it here. Week long festivities for the summer solstice/ patron saints? Yes. Things are so organized, and everyone participates. It must be sort of amazing to grow up here…

fireworks and bonfires in Alicante

 
3. the beach.
It’s within walking distance of the pension. In about ten minutes you can be swimming in the Mediterranean Sea. They have umbrellas and chairs for everyone to use. And who doesn’t love the beach?


4. the way Alex runs a studio.
More laid back. More traveling. More experiencing amazing things that also produce amazing diagrams. Less of that terrible feeling that comes with studio –that you have been working for days straight and have nothing to show for it; that you haven’t slept in three days and are delirious and sleep deprived.
I love how he tells us that things don’t always have to have some deeper meaning, and that it’s ok to just do something because it felt right. To use your intuition. I always hated that feeling of not knowing what to do…here you can just  DO it, and it will turn into something. Even mistakes are beautiful.







diagrams on mylar
 
5. granizados.
Café and chocolate. Horchata (ask Alex for the best place to go). I have never in my life liked slushies or slurpies, but granizados are another story. It’s basically a drink the consistency of a slushie that comes in multiple flavors. Café (coffee) is delicious, especially if you want and iced coffee. You can order café con hielo (with ice) but it’s still hot coffee that you pour over ice. Granizados are already icy and cold and awesome. The café is sort of strong, and tastes a bit like its spiked with something (not your typical mocha or frappucino), but I think it’s just really strong coffee, and it really hits the spot.  Chocolate is a chocolate slushie, like the hot chocolate you get with churros, but icy and cold. What more do I need to say? Go to Valor. Get the granizado chocolate. Con churros if you like them. So good.

granizado chocolate (and churros) from Valor
 
Things I miss from home
(possibly in this order…it sort of changes depending on how hot it is, what we had to eat that day, and what I might be doing if I was at home instead of Spain on a particular day):

1. home.
In general. Family, friends, summertime staples like BBQs with corn-on-the-cob and hamburgers; campfires with smore’s; midnight showings of movies because there is nothing else to do in my hometown. Knowing the language...

2. ice.
 Ice water, iced coffee, air conditioning that makes a movie theater feel like an icy cold room where you need to bring a sweater. Ice water especially. I’m sure they would bring ice if I asked (“con heilo”, in case you were wondering how to do so), but it’s hard to remember to ask when at home it’s just automatic. Coldness in general is somewhat lacking here. I’ve sort of gotten used to it. But not really.

3. internet.
Internet exists in Spain, but not like it does back home. Truly free wifi is very very rare. The wifi at the pension is totally random. I honestly have no idea how it works. One day, I’ll be able to connect from my room; the next it says I’m connected but nothing loads; then sometimes it won’t connect at all. Sometimes my roommate gets it and I don’t, and other times I do and she doesn’t. Sometimes it changes over the course of one day. Sometimes the people with iphones can get wifi on their phone only, or maybe their computer only. Sometimes you have to be downstairs in the café. Sometimes you don’t. I’ve uploaded pictures to the internet and downloaded skype on this connection before, but I’ve also have time when I couldn’t load Google or open an email. You sort of get used to it, but it’s also somewhat maddening. It’s like an ongoing game of where-can-I-find-the-internet? Will the internet work today? I find myself giving the internet little pep talks, like “come on internet; you’ve done this before, you can do it; please work…” I’m definitely not cut off entirely, but it is an adjustment.

4. home cooking.
Vegetables and non-oily food. My mom’s salads. Summer BBQs. The pension is great, but you start to miss home cooked meals. And I’m not Asian, but based on what I’ve heard from those that are, Asian food is really missed (we’ve seen a few Chinese restaurants, but I’m not sure how good they are…)
For that matter, just familiar foods or brands of foods. If you plan on coming here, and there is anything that you eat every day, or really want to have, and you are even the slightest bit unsure of whether or not you’ll be able to find it, you may want to bring some staples with you in a checked bag. It would be worth it. If I could do it again, I’d pack more snack-y things for sure.

5. water.
Going to eat somewhere and ordering water and getting a nice big glass of ice water that keeps getting refilled throughout your meal. Ordering something else to drink, and still having water as well. Here, they have sparkling or still water, but if you just order “water” they will bring you a 3 euro bottle of bottled water. If you ask for tap water, they might bring it to you, but they will probably think you are strange. And the one time I successfully did this, it never got refilled. And if you do get tap water, there is usually never ice.

6. Trader Joes.
So many yummy snack foods. Everytime I go to the mercadona to buy snacks here, I never seem to find that one thing that I just really really want, that will hit the spot.

7. 24/7.
This term does not exist in Spain. Sure, you’ll see places that say “24 hours” but this does not mean the same thing here. Here, it just means that it’s open longer than other places, or maybe that it’s open during siesta, but not that it is actually open 24 hours a day. Who would have ever thought that I’d miss Walmart or Winco? 


-Naomi Vollmers

No comments:

Post a Comment