Monday, July 2, 2012

EUROCUP 2012



July 1st, 2012 was a victorious day for Spain. Spain won the Eurocup 2012 against Italy with the score 4-0. The people in Guardamar celebrated the victory by driving through the main street in a line screaming and honking. Men and women, children, and old men and women were all out on the streets to celebrate. It was like a parade along the streets except with cars and trucks. There were couple trucks full of people as they waved the flag and shouted “ESPANA!” I was able to see streaks of red and yellow. 




These people have so much pride in their country and the victory brings them such joy. This is something that I would not be able to experience in America. I thought about a sport that the whole United States citizen unite to support its national team, but there isn’t a sport, I think, that we all cheer for. We have our own city or state team and even then, not everyone in the city or state gets hyped up for the games. On top of that, everyone has different taste in sports. It would be amazing if every citizen of United States could unite and cheer on our team and celebrate together with fireworks. I will miss cheering for the Spain team as they slowly went from quarter-finals to the champions. I will miss putting on the soccer jersey and cheering for the number 14, Xabi Alfonso. I will miss putting on face paint. I will miss screaming and yelling at the TV. 

photo credit: Cynthia Bathgate

-Michelle Nam 


No comments:

Post a Comment