Monday, July 2, 2012

espana

The most striking thing for me since I have been here has not been the new sleeping and eating schedules, the long days or even the intensity of the heat - no, for me the what has really grabbed my attention with is the Spanish people's passion for their country. This energy that they have caused our little group of Americans to not only go watch the Eurocup - but root for a country that we have been living in for less than a month. The pride they feel for their country is something that just doesn't exist in the states - at least not my experience of it. I know that patriotic people exist in the South, but growing up in Santa Cruz, patriotism was disdained. If you showed any support, you were questioned or, more likely, looked down upon. American flags are only used ironically. There is nothing ironic about Spanish pride. It contagious. I sat on the edge of my seat at a local bar watching the game and cheering the players on - for a game I have never felt any real emotion for before. Just living in this country and being surrounded by people who care about their country and their team so much had such a surprising effect on our whole group. I feel like this effect was exaggerated because we are starved for this feeling of pride in a nation. I am proud of Santa Cruz, Berkeley, the Bay Area - but I don't think I can say I am proud of my country as a whole. It is too big to stand behind. Yet it feels good to be a part of something so big - to feel united with so many other people behind a nation. Here in Spain, we can all get a taste of this in a way not possible back home. Sports tend to bring people together in this way, but it goes a step further here. When Spain won, the streets were flooded with people going crazy and setting off firecrackers right and left. The Spanish really do love their noise and their fire, so firecrackers and fireworks are clearly a favorite here. They have been yet another thing to adjust to, though I can't say that I have stopped jumping every time I hear one. The safety requirements or even "common courtesy" that we take for granted in the United States simply don't exist here. And it's more excited because of it. Every time Spain scored a goal, this little old man ran into the street and lit one right behind our seats. The noise was deafening.

Whatever the reason for our quick embrace of this country, their traditions, and their football team - I am done questioning it. I love this feeling and based on the number of my fellow students dressed in red, I have feeling we all do.

- Elisha

No comments:

Post a Comment