Monday, June 13, 2016

FOOD BLOG POST


Hello all! For my first blog, I have decided to write a post dedicated to all the food I have eaten thus far in Spain. I am currently writing from my lovely apartment in the Pension Jaen, conveniently located right above the Restaurante Jaen where we are to be served a hearty meal every day for the next two months. Our previous excursions include Madrid, Valencia, and Alicante where I have been able to experience a variety of restaurants and dishes.

To begin with, it should be known that Spain has a very unique dining experience that is quite different from what I am used to in America. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day, where the several course Menu del dia is offered. Unlike the very American standard of a 12 o’clock lunch with a one hour break, Spanish lunches start at around 2pm and last for about two hours if not more. For dinner, Spanish people eat starting around 9pm-10:30pm. If you are trying to eat a dinner as early as 5pm (normal for me), you will have a hard time finding a restaurant serving meals as Spain takes its siesta, or midday nap, very seriously. At this time, most people enjoy a light snack complemented with drinks to hold them over until dinner. While this all took a while for me to get used to, I now look forward to my expansive lunch where I am able to stuff myself with food until I pass out—just in time for an enjoyable siesta nap.

From my overall experience, I have found that Spanish food consists of lots of meats, potatoes, bread, and salt.) Some of the foods that I have encountered a lot are paella (a rice dish cooked with broth and meats/vegetables), bocadillo, (a baguette sandwich), and any dish with meat and potatoes (most often fried potato wedges). Spanish people love olive oil and salt, putting this on bread and salad, but do not eat spicy food. As someone who depends on spicy food, it wasn’t long before I scoured the markets for hot sauce, eventually finding some obscure chinese chili peppers in a convenience store down the street. Of course, my love for spicy food by no means discredits the flavor and taste of Spanish food. Throughout my travels I have been thoroughly satisfied by amazing food and sensational flavors. 

Nuri

No comments:

Post a Comment