Sunday, June 26, 2016

5 Things I learned So Far



 1) Water is always bottled 

If you order water at a restaurant and expect funky tasting tap water like those in the US, then you will be pleasantly surprised when the waiter brings you a exquisitely packaged bottle water and a glass. However, that also means that water is never free but you know you’re drinking clean water. At least it teaches us to conserve water if we have to pay for it right?  


2) “Menú del día” is the best deal for a meal

Spain has a very different meal schedule than in the US. In Spain, people usually eat lunch between 2-3pm and it is their biggest meal of the day. During the Franco time, a policy was implemented that required restaurants to offer an affordable lunch for laborers and therefore the “Menú del día” was born. It’s a three-course meal that included drinks, a starter, main course, and dessert for usually 8-14 euros. Portion sizes vary at different restaurants but the pension gives us so much food I usually save half of it for dinner.

3) Bolognese at the pension is amazing

Before coming here, I’ve only had bolognese once or twice because the taste never stood out to me. However I have fallen in love with the bolognese at the pension. I cannot pin point how it tastes different here but maybe because there is a certain sweetness and flavor of the tomato sauce that makes it unexpectedly delicious. I’ve basically been eating it everyday and I still haven’t gotten tired of it yet. 10/10 would recommend. 



4) Siestas are the highlight of my day 

Back at Berkeley, it was my dream to nap in the middle of the day. I cannot count how many times I’ve sat in class thinking about the comfort of my bed. Thankfully, my dream has become a reality here in Spain. The Spanish have siestas that allow me to nap through the hottest time of the day. I wake up rejuvenated and ready to work for the rest of the day. If only there are designated nap time during studio at Berkeley…

5) Bathroom are called “aseos”

In the U.S, anyone who knows basic Spanish probably knows that “el baño” mean the restroom. However in Spain, restroom are called “aseos.” Before I learned this, I asked someone where is the “baño” and got a chuckle as a response. So save yourself the embarrassment and call it “aseo.” You’re welcome.


Jenny 



No comments:

Post a Comment