Thursday, July 31, 2014

10 Things I Miss About California

My experiences in Spain have undoubtedly been some of the best I have had in my 22 years. From the new people I've had the privilege of meeting to all of the incredible sites I've been blessed to see, I have genuinely enjoyed the two months I have spent here. However, and perhaps it’s my homesickness talking, there are a number of things that Spain lacks that makes me more appreciative of all that we have in California.

1.       1. Air conditioning
             It’s too damn hot here to not have it.


2.      2.  Free refills
I remember the first time I ordered a Fanta and was subsequently charged again for the second one. No Bueno.
2a. Free water
I also remember the first time I ordered water under the impression that it was going to be free. Reality: About the same price as the Fanta.


3.      3.  English speakers
The Spanish speakers may not understand, but the struggle is real.


4.       4. Mobile data
            Although it’s nice to be disconnected for a while, sometimes you just want to update your Instagram.


5.       5. Customer service
             It is virtually nonexistent here until they discover the tipping system. La quenta, por favor?


6.      6.  In-N-Out
Once I hop off the plane, I know where I’m heading. Double-Double and Animal Fries, anyone?


7.       7. The pedestrian right-of-way
            In Berkeley, cars stop for you.


8.       8. The dollar bill
I don’t like carrying around coins, especially when one is worth more than an American dollar.


9.       9. The store hours
While having a siesta is nice, just make sure you don’t need anything vital between 2 and 5:00 here.


1     10. The California sunset
                You’re beautiful, Spain, but I prefer my sunsets to be over the ocean.


I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting and working alongside each of you. If our paths don't cross again, best of luck to you all, wherever your lives may take you.


-       -  Trenton

No comments:

Post a Comment