Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Second Christmas



In Guardamar, Christmas happens twice a year, once in December like everywhere else in the world, and a second time at the end of July during the Moros y Cristianos festival. It isn’t Christmas exactly, but it does seem like the city and its residents spend more on this festival than on gifts for friends and family.

Over the course of about a week, I witnessed some amazing displays of pyrotechnics and watched about a half a dozen parades. The fireworks on the beach were the best I’ve seen in my life, probably because I was closer to them than would ever be allowed in the States. Fireworks shot into the water than continued to explode high into sky. How is that possible??

I was pleasantly surprised by the costumes, creativity and coordination of the Comparsas (teams) in the two main parades. It was like watching a Disneyland parade times a thousand, something I would never have expected from a small vacation town. The costumes were incredibly fantastical with feathers and jewels arranged on luscious velvet capes and gowns. There was a horse, fake camels, a battle reenactment, fire twirlers, marching bands…

This festival is supposed to commemorate the history of the area. While I did do some learning, I probably will mostly just remember the glitter and the night-long celebrations. Spanish street parties make America seem Puritanical. I would never be able to get so close to fireworks, build bonfires on the beach when ever I want or go to clubs that close at 8am back in the States. I will truly miss the Spanish appreciation for life.

Cecily




No comments:

Post a Comment