Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rediscovering My Freehand

As the summer comes to an end, and I consider writing about the many beautiful and amazing places I have seen, cultures I have encountered, foods I have eaten, songs I have danced to and architecture I have experienced, I have decided to share how a personal struggle with a simple studio assignment has taught me a lot about myself, and who I want to be.

I remember it was our first conceptual model, and we were asked to draw an elevation and cut sections from it. Simple, right? Well apparently not for me. When I asked myself why it was so difficult for me to do such a simple task, I realize it was because it had been engrained in me from my past education before I transferred to UC Berkeley to make drawings as precisely and perfectly as possible. So when it came time to make the drawings of these very abstract models, I couldn't for the life of me draw the model using my freehand. I wanted precision.

It was this struggle that made me realize that what I have been missing was the ability to trust my hand when it comes to designing architecture. But really what it was about was trusting myself, and my intuition. The assignment helped me to understand that it's ok to not seek perfection, because either way it will not come. Seems like such a simple lesson to be learning, but it is an important one because it has showed me that there is a lot in life that can make me doubt my intuition and self. So through this small struggle I am happy to have discovered my freehand, artistic self, and intuition again.

-Matt Mojica







No comments:

Post a Comment