Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dear Alex From Alejandrito

Okay, okay, I'll admit it. Spain was a huge learning curve for me. Facts are facts.
I grew up as a die hard East Coast kid. Only recently did I start learning about the Bay Area.
I never left the Americas before. I barely speak any other language than English.
Then KA-CHI (2015 Studio should know of this sound), I leave for Spain.

The first couple weeks were difficult.
Constant moving around. Unpack to pack again.
Spanish? Que?
Siesta. Backwards sleeping pattern.
Kissing greetings. Yo, I don't know you like that.
When is our activity? 15 minutes later.
Mid-day drinks? Sure.
Drink tonight? But didn't we just have a couple cañas?
Street gunshot fireworks. Just no.

Former students and fellow 2015 classmates are probably confused as to how I even had trouble with these things. But, again, these different questions and concerns sum up my confusion during my first weeks in Spain. Furthermore, homesickness was too real for me. I have not been back in the DC, MD, VA area in 8 months... I missed it all too much. Familiar cities, familiar faces, family, friends, food... But that was just some extra heat that I got myself into... Oops.

#Anyways. But of course, as time went on, things started falling into place.
My Spanish got somewhat better. Vale? Vale.
Siestas became highly necessary. 
Kissing greetings were like greeting old friends.
Cañas. Multiple cañas were part of any diet. 
Lateness became expected.
I never got used to street fireworks exploding inches away from my feet. But it got somewhat better. 
More cañas.
Backwards sleep schedule? Nah. Just wait for Moros y Cristianos. 

What really sealed the deal for me was one of the best conversations I ever had with Isa. She asked, "Do you know what your new name is?.. Alejandrito!" 


Personally, I've never been called anything else other than Alex or my Korean name. But Alejandrito stuck with me. It just felt right. Now I feel like if I'm ever in Spain again, I can't be called anything else other than Alejandrito. It just wouldn't be appropriate.


In retrospect, Spain taught me a lot about the world, and a lot about myself. Studio taught me invaluable lessons that helped me justify why I love the field, and I couldn't ask for anything more. My journeys around Spain are stories of a lifetime, and I feel like if I ever go back, I would feel right at home. 

Thank you, Alejandro, for not only being such a great professor, but also for being that friend to have my back when I needed you. Thank you, Isa, for not only giving me that awesome name, but also for helping me realize how much I love Spain...

So Dear Alex,
You worried too much. 
Spain is simply awesome.
Have a caña. 
Love, Alejandrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment