Thursday, August 1, 2019

Independent Week

-->
A week for relaxation. A week with no worries. A week to explore.
That’s what the independent week was for (right???). A group of ten, including myself, were set out to see the most we can. Here’s how it went.
Two weeks before, we had originally planned for Budapest, Prague, and Vienna. That quickly changed by looking at the ticket prices. We all started throwing in new ideas. This time, with a quick raise of hands, we finally agreed to go to Amsterdam, Berlin, and Prague. Some of us had already gone to these places and were willing to go again and show us around and give the rest of the group any recommendations they had.
Keep in mind that when we started planning this trip, we have only known each other for 2 weeks. Why did we choose each other? I don’t know, I guess we liked each other enough to believe that we won’t get too tired of each other. We already traveled with the whole program for 2 weeks so we had an idea of who we all were and we were all starting to get comfortable with each other.
            Planning was the most efficient when everybody was in the same room, each with their laptops. Together we looked for flights, housing, and transportation. Having a Google sheet with all the information was super helpful (thanks to the well-organized queens of the group) and would totally recommend! We were all on the same page on what we were willing to pay for transportation, housing, and tours and which cities were known to be more expensive. In total, we booked 2 flights and 2 bus rides. In addition to that, we took public transportation such as trams and buses. And we weren’t late for any of them! There was also just one cancellation with one person but that was resolved quickly.
            In Amsterdam, we booked a 10-person room and to be honest, I’m not sure why we thought that was a good idea. In Berlin, we got 3 doubles and a quad in a hotel. For some reason, they messed up the rooms so what we booked is not what we got. We ended up with triples and a double. We still don’t understand to this day how that happened. In Prague, we booked an Airbnb that was an apartment with 2 rooms, a triple and double and 4 beds out in the living room. All of these locations were pretty good except the 10-person room. Even if it’s cheaper, I would say that it’s not worth it. Especially if you’re all sharing one bathroom. Wasn’t the best idea but oh well.
            We kind of slacked off on planning day by day. We fully planned out Amsterdam and a little bit of Berlin but since we were in Granada with the program as well, it was harder to get everyone in the same room to plan more for Prague. Regardless of how much we planned, I think we fulfilled each city. In Amsterdam, we went to the Van Gogh and Rijks museums, we went biking to the outskirts of the city, and went to multiple street markets. In Berlin, we checked out the Brandenburger Gate, The Reichstag Dome, and the cathedral. Finally, in Prague, we walked across the Charles Bridge, through Old Town Square and within, saw the astronomical clock. Going from city to city, it was evident on what type of travelers we all were. Some of us liked to plan every minute while others didn’t care about a schedule and it was interesting seeing that dynamic.
            All in all, we had fun. We made new memories, walked many miles, and got even closer to each other. I got so much out of this trip that I can’t seem to put into one cohesive thought and maybe that’s the representation of this trip itself. I learned that I should bring clothes that are able to mix and match more to bring less, to check the weather right before you leave, to bring medicine to treat nausea, dehydration, and allergies. I also learned to not book a 10 person room, to wander around more on my own, to treat myself, to be organized with my things, that Orange’s sim card sometimes doesn’t work everywhere in Europe, and that apparently I look like I’m from Brazil(???). But most importantly, I learned to be even more grateful for the people around me. Cause without them, the trip wouldn’t have been the same.

To be honest, I really didn’t think I was going to be able to do what I did anytime soon. There were so many times where I couldn’t believe where I was and I was proud of the fact that I had the guts to study and travel in abroad. Any kind of traveling requires some form of a plan. And sometimes things don’t go according to plan. But that’s okay. It’s all part of the experience.
So.
Did we relax? Not really. Was it worry-free for us? Not always. But did we explore? Most Definitely.  
- Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment