Friday, June 28, 2019

The Adventures of a Vegetarian in Spain

-->
It has been days since my last full meal. Every meal is a combination of some form of carbohydrate bread, cheese, and tomato. I have started to forget the taste of vegetables. All I know is tomatoes. Every meal is soaked in a vat of oil, with flavor nowhere to be found. I have found solace in pizza.

Pizza is simple.
Pizza is easy.
Pizza is delicious.

Vegetarian Pizza is called Crujivegetal, for reasons unbeknownst to me. I can only trust pizza, even sandwiches, which the locals call bocadillos, are traitorous. These said bocadillos, especially those of the variety végetal, contain tuna. After 3 weeks in Spain, I have come to the conclusion that the Spanish do not understand the concept of being vegetarian. I say this having eaten a full meal at the Museum of Jamón. This is not to say that I haven’t broken my 19-year vow of vegetarianism. Accidental bites of chorizo bean soup in Segovia and Pasta in Tomato Pork Sauce at the Pensión in Guardamar haven’t stopped me.

Each meal at the pensión is essentially the same. A basket of bread served in the beginning, with either a pitcher of wine or sangria. Some days we are served tomato sauce, others garlic aioli. The highlight of my food from the pensión would be fried cheese. I had ordered the dish with caution, with no other options. However, what I got was exactly not what I expected. A plate with three slabs of Canneberge cheese, breaded and fried, served with a side of sweet jelly.

Some might say that I am crazy ambitious for attempting to maintain my state of vegetarianism through this trip. However, since I last visited Spain, I can say that the larger cities in Spain have definitely adapted more vegan-friendly and vegetarian-friendly restaurants and shops. As someone from California, who is used to vegetarian options in every restaurant, being able to adapt to these conditions in Spain has definitely been a new experience.

Your friendly neighborhood vegetarian,
Neha

No comments:

Post a Comment